Tuesday, March 1

It's The Second Day When You Feel It

The first thought this morning was I don't hurt as bad as I thought I would. But then I moved. "Ow," was the first word out of my mouth, followed with some groans, as I arose from the bed to start the dailies. Once I got moving, it wasn't near as bad. And truly, overall, I don't feel the soreness as much as I was expecting. Or maybe because I was expecting more, that this didn't feel as bad. Either way, I am glad we are not going today.

The Jr High District Honor Orchestra concert was last night, and my son was one of the musicians. Unfortunately, on this level of orchestral music, the assorted brass/woodwinds they included for only 2 of the 5 songs, so it wasn't like a huge deal for him. But as a parent, it was for me. This is the 3rd year (I think 3rd) he has been chosen in the District Honor Orchestra. The previous 2 years being in the Elem. School level. He is becoming quite good on the French horn - an instrument I did not learn. The next son in line will have the option of starting a musical instrument next year in 4th grade. He has decided to learn trumpet. It'll be another 4-5 years before the last son will be ready to chose.

As a parent I feel so proud that my children desire to participate in music. The daughter played clarinet in school, and into HS she added Choir. At college, she has made the Honors Choir as a Freshman, though due to her schedule, etc. she decided to not take band. I don't blame her.

Either way, Music is something that has flowed through the family for generations. The Wife played flute when in school, and on into choir in college. I played Tuba and trombone in school, did some choir at church, played a few performances in get-togethers. I have heard stories of the Wife's side of the family doing more as well. I know my chain is well-versed. Both my parents' families are very musical. My Uncle Mike plays and sings guitar still to this day. My 4 uncles on Dad's side all played instruments, and sing. My dad being the only one that really did neither, but he encouraged and supported me. And it goes way back.

I know I pretty much take it for granted, the musical ability. Probably one of those things I should be blessed for, as I know there are people out there that wish they had any ability. Trust me, I have seen them try to do karaoke.

Okay, enough of the little reminiscing. The next couple days I expect a new book to arrive here. Patrick Rothfuss' "The Wide Man's Fear" book two of the Kingkiller chronicle. I have been waiting 3 years for this 2nd book. Will probably be another 3 for the final installment. Either way, publish release date is today, and I have 2-5 day shipping on it. Yes, I use a Kindle, and could have just downloaded it, but I wanted the hardback for the set. When they are really good books I like to share them.

Alrighty, I am out of here for now.

PeacE

No comments: