Thursday, February 17

Wanted: Pessimist With Severe Motivation Issues

I got to admit, being out of work for almost 3 years is pretty depressing. I had given up looking for anything in my line of work about 2 years ago. The housing market for Arizona was just too devastated to have any hope of a job in that line of work, with so many places closing doors and going bankrupt, etc. Our family lucked out that the Wife has a great job, and the likelihood of continued employment and job security for her are pretty damn good. Different aspects of he medical field are always needed.

So having lost hope of a job in my field of work, I put in for 'other' types of jobs, with the main requirement being NO SALES. In short, I am not a salesman. If you were to talk with me about buying a product, I could not force my sale on you with my product if I didn't truly fit your needs better than something else would. I hate anyone trying to do that to me, and I just can't bring myself to do it to someone else. Or worse, just pressure them into buying something... Ugh!

The majority of jobs available to me, without a college degree of any sort, are pretty limited to: Sales (which I won't do), Telemarketing (sales again), Manual Labor (which in my current state, is not feasible, unless they want me to have a heart attack lifting that 25 lb box and carrying it 10 feet), and General (the miscellaneous of the jobs that fits nowhere else). I don't have the looks for a modeling job (unless it is the "Big" of 'Big & Tall'). Nope, can't do the live on-site managers of an apartment complex. Not going to sell subscriptions of the local paper (sales and imagine calling people trying to sell a newspaper when so many have the internet - or worse, doing the door-to-door - which they advertise for as well). I have applied at what I feel is so many jobs, and been either 1) ignored - no contact back to me, and if I follow up they tell me the job is filled, or 2) Flat out tell me I am over-qualified. It all leads up to being very depressing.

I am depressing myself. The point I was trying to lead into, is that my 'big' Bro, Scotty B, has passed me on a job invitation for a company, working online at home. Job sounds great, pay sounds decent, he has been doing it a few short weeks now, and says it's a decent job. The Wife and I talked about it back when he first told me about it, and it sounds almost too good to be true. I guess the worst of it is the hours. It is a 24/7 operation, and they obviously need to cover all shifts, all days. Based on info from my bro, the best way to get a M-F type shift, so I can keep weekends free for family, is to work graveyards basically. Due to seniority, getting a day-shift at the start is unlikely. The Wife and I thought that could work, if I could manage a night shift say like 10pm-6am. I would be at home, still have time for errands/appointments for me and the kids in the day, evenings free for kid's school activities, and early mornings to see them off to school, etc.

I have been sitting on the job invite, not sending anything in, now for about 2-3 weeks. I don't know why. I think because it is too good to be true. Everything sounds like it could work to my advantage almost too well. I am such a pessimist, I am wondering 'Where is that other shoe going to fall?'

I need to get off my ass and make a decision and do it, one way or the other.

PeacE

2 comments:

Spockgirl said...

"I need to get off my ass and make a decision."
Sounds about right. But I agree with "sounds too good to be true"... just make sure to read the fine print so to speak.

Scotty B said...

Well bro, you can always take the first step and apply. Evaluate as you go. They pay for everything not like some so-called work from home gigs that expect you to send them money. Like I mentioned, it is a sales job, but it is selling people repair services for their computer. There is no pressure for them to buy. If they need the service, they buy it. Our job is to educate them that we are a real company and will perform the service they are paying for. No hype, no bs. I wont sell a service/product that I would not use in myself or beleive in. So far, I have not been disappointed. I have a 401k with FIDELITY and real med benefits that I turned down as Lisa has good bene's thru her work. They are on the NASDAQ under SPRT. So its a real company, no doubt about that. FWIW. ScottyB S/H