Tuesday, February 21

Finding the Right Calibre

The three day weekend has ended, and I can honestly say I am a bit relieved. The boys are back in school. I say that because the past couple days with them has been at times aggravating. I have more patience than I did a few years ago, but not nearly enough as I should. The oldest, I had to stay on him to get work done on his book project that is due this Friday. Most of us were probably that way when we were teenagers, too, but that is no excuse, in my thoughts anyways.

Last week I became a bit frustrated (again). I use Calibre for my ebook library. I don't know how to use all the features, but find it VERY convenient for what I do use it for with my Kindle, and sorting my books, etc. Well, a few days back, I went to start it up, but it wouldn't. An error box kept popping up. Of course, I have no clue what the error and code meant, so spent quite some time searching for similar stuff on the Web. Though there were several "tech" sites, and even through the help site for Calibre, I tried several solutions given. Uninstall, registry cleans, reinstall of older versions, system restores.... after several hours of this, I gave up. I even sent a 'bug report' to the developer, to see if he had additional help, and included the whole 'debug' information, as I had seen requested for other similar issues. Yesterday, I had no replies, and though it may have been a holiday, I still grew impatient. Again I went searching through the Web for places that maybe I missed before. I started scanning other errors people had reported, that were not even close to what I was having issues with, and found a couple more ideas to try. The second one worked. I was able to finally reload the current version, and got the program going again. The only bad part (excluding the downtime, and time spent searching for a solution) was my previous 'libraries' I had set up through Calibre, were not there. They were still on my hard drive, but the program did not know of them. Since I am not 100% knowing of all features (and some of the new ones in the latest version) I could find no way to just load up the existing libraries, so had to re-create them. Not too big of a deal at first. then I realized, all the information I had included on books (such as if it was part of a series, and what # of book in the series, etc) was all gone. Now I need to go back through and re-edit certain books with this information, as I have time again. A little bit daunting, as I think I am up to about 5Gb of  books now. I spent yesterday afternoon reloading and doing this.

Today, I may work on it some more, or I may just work on reading to help clear some of them out. In a couple hours I need to go to MILs to sit with FIL so she can do some shopping. Then I don't know what I will do. I know there is plenty to get done, whether my list or the Wife's...I may just be lazy and play on the computer.

PeacE

No comments: