Thursday, June 7

How Good Is A Disclaimer

We've all seen disclaimers, whether we knew what they were at the time or not. Seems most times, it has been the small print at the bottom of the television screen, when that fast lawyer talk is going on. Hmph. Infomercials many of have seen - you know what I am talking about.

Whether Pro or Con, many of us have seen disclaimers. Personally, I remember more of the ones that were 'against' me more so than the ones in my favor. Think about it. Are you able to truly say you remember more happening in your life FOR YOU? I thought not. That was a 'given'. A deserved right. Just because it worked in "our" favor... we don't think about the other side.

My post isn't about the ones on the bad side of things... It's more about the disclaimers.

Recently, I came across a Facebook post that someone I had 'friended' put up. It looks totally legit, and it was at a time that the general Public (note the capital P) was hearing things (again) about issues going on about Facebook. For you that do not participate, you can Google the word Facebook, or ask friends, and make your own opinion. Either way, I copied, and pasted, this disclaimer that looked legit, sounded pretty good, but probably does not make one whit of difference. For reference, it follows:


WARNING: Any person and/or institution and/or Agent and/or Agency of any governmental, public or private structure including but not limited to the United States Federal Government also using or monitoring/using this website or any of its associated websites, you do NOT have my permission to utilize any of my profile information or any of the content contained herein including, but not limited to ...my photos, and/or the comments made about my photos or any other "picture" art posted on my profile. You are hereby notified that you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing, disseminating, or taking any other action against me with regard to this profile and the contents herein. The foregoing prohibitions also apply to your employee(s), agent(s), student(s), or any personnel under your direction or control. The contents of this profile are private and legally privileged and confidential information, and the violation of my personal privacy is punishable by law.

UCC 1-103 1-308 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED WITHOUT PREJUDICE

It is recommended that other members post a similar notice to this or you may copy and paste this one. This is now a publicly traded site. Protect yourself.

Sounds pretty cool, huh? Many people I am 'linked' with on Facebook copied and posted it as well. Does it work, legally? I have no fricking clue. I am not a lawyer, and I sure am not hiring one to find out. Do I say things there (like here at time) that could inadvertently make someone do something that we all would regret later? Probably. So? The thought is "we are all adults.... deal with it". Right?

In recent months, I have come to realize, it is the simple solutions that work best. I am tired of the whole CYA game. Why should one have to play that, if they are providing good service (in whatever field)? 

Regardless of what any one person/organization/affiliation thinks about our government, is this little blurp going to stop them from taking whatever they want, changing it to fit their needs at the time? No. Does that mean Gov't is wrong? Everything in power is corrupt?

I am not saying that. I have my opinions. Don't you? Isn't that what we're about?

So. Copy and paste that disclaimer wherever you want. I looked at it as 'it can't hurt, even if it don't help'. Right?

PeacE

No comments: