Monday, June 4

It's All About The (Camera) Angle

Many of you know that I have been trying to improve somewhat on my health. Over the past year and a half, I have lost around 40 pounds, and that being barely halfway to my ultimate goal. As those of us who do these sorts of things know, it isn't always easy making certain lifestyle changes that make the weight stay off, and not just fast-loss routine that gets discarded whenever we want. Admittedly, I am not losing as fast as I would like, but it is still an overall loss. There are other changes I could make to have things work better and faster, but that is a whole other topic. Today is about angle.

The first thing I think of when I hear angle, is a triangle. If that isn't the first, it is usually something that the point of interest is the 'corner' or where you see the line(s) bend/turn/change direction. When it comes to weight, I picture an arc, like if one were to trace the outline of a sideways profile of my tummy on to something. That's not much of an angle, with the first thought I have, but bear with me.

This morning, being so dedicated as I am (yeah, right) I got up and went to the gym. I am still trying to work off the few pounds I gained those two weeks I was lazy. As I was walking in, there was a paper sign on the door stating that there was the possibility of anyone there being filmed this morning and to 'Smile'. As I went in to begin, I was obviously trying to figure out why would there be filming? New ad for the gym? It's a national chain, I am sure there are other facilities that would be more advantageous to use than the one I attend. A movie? Maybe someone's small non-profit one. Or some indie filmmaker wanna-be. Maybe someone's hard-luck weight or recovery story for some TV special. Yeah. That's all I could come up for having been awake only 30 minutes this morning.

Turns out I was wrong pretty much all the way. My gym has a basketball court "room" on site. This morning it was closed, as they were doing some sort of Summer Skills Clinic there. I have no clue what that is. Either way, one of the local TV stations was there to do some kind of clip for their morning show (like the Today show, runs like 5-9am). Either way, while doing my workout, I saw the camera guy doing some filming around the gym. I don't know whether it was 'live' shooting, or just clips to use for filler, etc, but either way, I was in it.

So, back to the angle thing..... As I read the sign and wondered what was going on, the random thought ran through my head, 'Is it true the camera adds 10 pounds?' As I realized I was being filmed, I hoped he wasn't using a wide-angle lens.

I don't know if it would make a difference on adding the supposed 10 pounds to me, but that one guy in the grey shirt and shorts, sweating like crazy, red-faced, huffing and puffing.... that was me.

PeacE

No comments: