Friday, June 15

Let's Wrap Up This Week

This past week hasn't been a bad one overall. Spent sometime with the boys. Saw a movie at the theater. Woke up at 4am and couldn't go back to sleep. Yeah, that is this morning. I don't know if I need to start going to bed later, in order to sleep in past 4-5am, or what. But since I am up early, you get some more of my random thoughts for the day.

Reverend Mother and Preacher Tom got a dog. Not that that is anything weird. If I remember the details right, it is a 9-week old black Lab/Shepherd mix. They named it Marley, or at least I think they named it that. The dog is named Marley, but since they got it from a rescue shelter, it may have already been named. I haven't been formerly sniffed by Marley yet, but am sure it will be sometime soon. I have mixed feelings about RM & PT having a dog. Originally, the idea was based on that RM would have some sort of protection, as she likes to take evening walks around the neighborhood. Not a bad idea, since PT would prefer to not go walking with her - not the company, he is just not a fan of 'just walking'. And I know RM reads here, so I am probably putting my foot in my mouth, but where else am I allowed to say what I want, when I want, and how I want?

RM always wanted a smaller 'lap sized' dog. PT always wants bigger - like shepherd, doberman sized dogs. Marley is 9-weeks old, so I guess RM gets the lap sized (for a short time). My parents are not as young and spry as I am.Well, maybe more spry, but not as young. Are they going to be able to keep up with this pet? Take it with them when they go on weekend getaways, or retreats? Am I the one that is going to be asked to    come over and feed/water/walk the dog when they decide to go out of town? Not that I mind it. I live the closest. But I don't want to have to adjust my schedule to accommodate a dog that needs to be let out at least twice a day (if not more). I don't know. Actually it is not me just being selfish and thinking of how it may affect me.... How long will they be able to care for Marley? I'm guessing, a dog that size probably has an easy lifespan of 15 years (at least) and possibly more. Though my parents are healthy and in good shape, that's a number of years, and I am sure Marley will be wanting to be active.

Not that I have much room to gripe about loving and having pets. The Wife and kids have pretty much always had a dog, or cat, or both, throughout most of our years together. Stuman has a few dogs, and Sis has 3 small dogs, a cat, and a rabbit last time I knew. I will admit (this one time and never again) though Daisy and Rusty (aka Crack Kitty and Spawn of Satan) are a pain in my ass more often than not, I still sort of like them. I can't believe I admitted that. I must be bit off mentally from waking up so early.

Oh well. It's not my dog. I can always say no. Just hate the thought of a year or two down the road, they having to give up Marley as things aren't adjusting to their lifestyle the way they thought it would. Who'd thought I would care about a pet that even isn't mine? I must be off in the head....

PeacE

1 comment:

Reverned Mother said...

wow. I just wrote a long response and it wouldn't post. Let's see. What did I say. First of all, I choose Marley (named by the previous owner) and it was love at first sight. Yes, she is a lot of work right now because we have to house train her - which she is responding to quite well. As for us being 'old', I am only 62 so that doesn't really make me old, does it? Spry, maybe not, but at least I am still active and doing things - including walking. As for us going on trips and asking you to let Marley out a couple times a day - I must admit the thought did cross my mind if we have a day trip. Anything beyond that we would put her in a boarding home. I appreciate your concern for your 'old' mama, but I hope to enjoy Marley into much older age. She will be a great companion for me. I appreciate your honesty - oh, and yes, you can say whatever you want on your blog - and in response to mine! :-) Love you son. Thank you for your honesty.