Thursday, February 22

Band Geeks of the World - UNITE!

Since Freddie was asking, I figured I could do a little post about my band geekiness, and those around the world that share these types of memories.

As a youngster, about 3rd grade, I was fascinated by singers and instruments that played low. So that year I started playing tuba music, but due to my size, actually used a baritone. By 7th grade I had sized-up enough to handle an actual tuba. I continued playing tuba throughout high school, being a member of the marching band and everything else I could do: pit orchestra for school plays, tutors for Jr high band students, Regional and State bands, etc. My senior year I even took Jazz band and played bass trombone.

Even now I can think back and remember some of the different trips we would take for band competitions. My buds and I would sneak out of whatever place we were and try to find some trouble, go joy-riding in some security golf cart, etc.

Being in band was a good way for me to stay in shape as well. During marching season, as we practiced on the field, and the director was working with a different section, if we got caught goofing off you had to run a lap around the field - with your instrument. I got alot of running in those four years, enough I lost the chunk in the middle I had, that I have now regained. It built up arm muscles my senior year, when we got rid of the sousaphones and bought marching basses. The difference is the sousaphone wraps around you, the bass is carried in front of you, and gets "snapped" onto your shoulder when playing. We are talking 45 lbs of brass, carried in front of you, while marching onto/off the field, into position, etc. I remember the cramps we would have after major performances... icy/hot never worked so good!

It's been 17 years now since I have last played a tuba. I have a trumpet at home I get out every now and then. I still want to get a trombone or a tuba, just too expensive at this time. My daughter has taken up clarinet, and in the next year or two, the oldest boy will have the option of taking up an instrument if he chooses. Right now he is more interested in learning guitar. I have gotten him up to 4 chords, and he can play them pretty good for an 8 yr old.

Anyways, enough of this for now. I'll have to try and remember some other band story later on.

PeacE

No comments: