Friday, November 30

New meaning to "hurts so good"

It has been a few years since I have heard that song from John Cougar Mellencamp. In case you don't remember it, here's a glimpse : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSHGT9bATdc
So what is so great about hurting good? I was at the gym last night for one of my classes. This particular one is called 'BodyFlow' and consists of mainly tai-chi, pilates, and yoga positions/stretching for an hour. I usually sweat more during this class than any other, it truly is difficult. By the end of the hour though, my body is humming, and you get this little thrill of euphoria going on. By far a damn good workout...but I need to lose more of this fat... Anyways, I am getting off topic. So we are in the this phase change from 'Dog to the Moon' (or something) to 'Plank" (which is push-up position) and lowering slowly, when my shoulder emits a loud 'POP'! My shoulder crumbles under me, and all my weight flops down onto the mat, making a nice belly-flop sound (amidst a shower of perspiration flying off my face/head). I quickly roll to the other side to check my shoulder. The instructor, who is on a hands-free mic blurts out "Oh, somebody is feeling some movement today!"

I wanted to slap the shit out of her. I glance around and a few people around me are staring my direction to see if I literally blew the shoulder out. I rubbed it and swung my arm around. It actually had a better range of movement than before, so I tried to get back into the routine, but every time we came to the push-up, I couldn't support the weight on the shoulder. So to make a longer story shorter, I went home and had that hot shower, with extra attention on the shoulder, took some ibuprofen, and went to bed. This morning, it feels like I hit it against a door jamb, and flares when I am lifting something of weight higher than my shoulder. I was talking to one of my bosses (the one that rags on me constantly about getting into the gym, etc) and he mentioned it was my first "rib" pop. Basically, the muscles had not been worked/shifted from regular position in so long, that with just the small workouts I have been doing 'popped' the muscles into a better position to allow more movement. Hurts a bit, but for a good reason. I will go with some minor pain and greater range of movement - as long as the pain will disappear like a bruise.

Ain't it great hearing about my overweight out of shape body? You know you love it. Especially when I say anal warts. That just brings out such a nasty picture don't it? I had to see how gross that condition could be, so I did a google on it. I couldn't stand to look at some of the pics.... barf-o-rama!! Thanks to any higher power I ain't got that on my ass! The 15 pounds extra I carry there is bad enough!

On to bigger and better things. I scheduled my update meeting with the nutritionist last night. They regular one at the gym had to relinquish her position for family matters, and now the owner is doing them. So he mentioned that to me last night and says, "Usually I have them bring in what they have been eating, but in your case, Ralph, I already got a meal plan for you!" Fucking sucks to have your boss friends with the owner of the gym, who is now also your nutritionist, and no way to cheat on the plan at lunch or anything. Not that I want to cheat, but being ragged about what I am eating is pure bullshit. It ain't damn boot camp.

Tomorrow, geez, is going to be a full day. I will have to do a work out in the morning, nutritionist meeting at 10, Video Golf tournament at 1, and who knows how long that will last. Then Sunday I have softball, followed by another workout in the gym that afternoon, so I guess I won't be drinking at the pub watching football games. ::sigh:: Probably better for me anyways. I'll find a way to make up for it I am sure. The pub is having a real golf tournament coming up the 15th so I wonder how my newer muscles and range of motion will affect my swing. I can think it will only improve it - you should seen how I played before!

I watched a decent movie last night. I had picked it out on a whim from Netflix. It is called "Neverwas" and has a few big namers in it : William Hurt, Jessica Lange, Ian McKellen. The oldest son sat down and watched it with me as well, and at the end he said he really liked it. I also recently watched 'Children of Men' which I recommend as well. The other one this past week was 'The Five People you Meet in Heaven'. John Voight is in it, so I thought it would be good, but I was sort of let down. I mean, the story line wasn't bad, just didn't meet the expectations I thought the movie was going to show. I still have Spiderman 3 (waiting on a good family night to watch it) and 'Live Free or Die Hard'. Perhaps I will get to watch one of them tonight - who knows.

Well, for lack of anything much else to complain about today, this weekend is supposed to be a rainy one for the Phoenix area. they are saying 90% chance tomorrow, plus showers off and on today... leading into Sunday. Maybe no softball then. Hmmmm. I love the rain, especially lightning shows in the desert... but the fuckers that do not know how to drive on wet streets here in the valley is the worse I have ever seen! It could be blinding rain and they will be going 65 mph down the freeway, with no lights on. And you can't hardly see the painted lines here when it rains. They are made to be visible in the sunlight, not rain.... Oh well. Nothing I say is going to change things. I just buckle up and play defensive driver.

Alright, I think I have said enough for one day. I hope you all have a good weekend, and get all your Christmas stuff done! Oh sheesh! I forgot I got a party coming up for that soon too. Definitely need to get my shopping done!

PeacE

No comments: