Monday, August 30

Education - Then and Now - A Long Comparison and Rant

When I was in the transition between Junior and Senior High schools, I first noticed the deterioration of the public school system. For me, this was the mid 1980's. As I recollect from my memories, I feel that I struggled somewhat with my studies, maintaining a seemingly normal C+ to B- average in most classes. Some classes seemed harder than others (as is for most students) but it all seemed normal. Then suddenly in HS I was easily passing classes that I should have had to work harder at, if everything followed the regular pattern I had previously been through since Kindergarten.

The difference? My early school years were in Indiana and my HS years were in Arizona. This is not about how one state is better than another, just my viewpoint.

One good example: Algebra and early Geometry were courses I struggled with in Jr High. In HS, I "breezed" through them, as they were separate courses, on the same Jr High level I had already been through. Obviously this is due to the AZ school system being set back than Indiana's due to ESL (English Second Language) and other barriers to the teaching process (I opine that is it because of the damn illegal immigrant situation).My kids, attending schools here in AZ, don't see the difference in learning levels as much as it appears normal to them. But as a parent I see other problems in the education system.

Let me narrow it down a bit more. I see a problem with individual teachers, not as persons, but as instructors, and their styles of instruction.

Now I am sure pretty much everyone reading this is going to think back to their school/college days and think of that one instructor that they "hated", or never liked their style of teaching. Though many of you still passed the course, even if it may have been barely. Somehow, despite it all, you persevered.

Anyways, times have moved forward since my days of school (and I am sure yours as well). It seems my older kids have actually been assigned homework that can only be completed by Internet access - be it to access some "school online website" or to locate needed information since the public library is closed after 6pm, and they are not given time at school for the school library (if they even have one). I know we have moved into a more technological computer age, but when is it needed, nay, REQUIRED, to have a computer, let alone Internet access, for our children to do homework? Textbooks are no longer given out (budgetary restraints) so "online textbooks" that have to used for homework. WTF?!? I could see needing a computer to "type" up a report. But Internet a requirement (which is never mentioned at any school registration as a needed  item for schoolwork). How is a school to provide computer access, let alone Internet access, for those who families cannot afford it? How can they require this, and not provide it, yet it needs to be done? I don't understand.

We don't live in Snobsville, but we don't live in Shantytown either. My family lives in a "nice" neighborhood. We have decent neighbors. Schools, shopping, parks, freeway access - all close and convenient. Shootings? Every once in a great while. Police helicopters overhead at night? Sometimes, but usually more in the lower income area off in another direction. My kids attend public schools that do have a large Latino presence. In elem. school, the lunches are automatically free as the income for most students families are low enough it is cheaper to just provide the whole school - though bringing your lunch is an option. Yes, ESL is a big factor in our schools. I have seen students bring their parents to open houses, and have to do all the translation for them (constantly).

Through it all, my kids are learning well. So far, the three older ones have been in "Project Potential" - an accelerated class for regular school studies. I am sure the last one will too when he gets in school. Though I gripe about the school requiring it, we have computer and Internet access for the kids to be able to finish their homework. Even if we have to help them search for exactly what the instructor has asked for (even when it is not even having to do with the homework, but it is required. IE. Geometric angles for a starting algebra class?)

Sigh. I gripe. I bitch. I whine. I try to understand, and I do bits and pieces. Still there is much I don't and that helps infuriate me more at times. But we do the best we can to provide the needed info and availability to get that to our children.

So maybe I should get to the specific thing that just pisses me off tonight. It is a prime example of my comment about instructors and their style of instruction. Maybe re-reading this (or rather proof-reading this) will make me see a better answer to the problem. I don't know.

My oldest son is in Junior High, which started about 3 weeks ago. You already understand the make-up of income and race in our area. How it affects the school system budget, public interaction, and I am sure the teaching of anything to students.

I need to back up one year, to when he was in 6th. He was in the accelerated class, instructed by a a woman from Jamaica. In the beginning of the year, I realized there were going to be issues, because her verbal and written instructions many times never matched each other, and would leave my son very upset as to how to complete assignments. Literally upset to the point of tears, late at night, because he was tired and wanted to go to bed, but needed to have it done for the next day. Her speech made listening a burden due to her accent, her way of calling every male student "Boy", and other problems presented themselves. The Wife and I thought several times (and sometimes actually listed examples to bring to) that we should meet with the principal and teacher about these things. In the end, we decided not to meet. At the 6th grade level, we thought maybe it best that our son learn that people are going to call you derogatory things because you are white and they aren't (no, not being a Nazi). That he is going to have to learn to inquire for more information if he isn't clear on things. Through out the school year, no matter the assignment, he still finished up Valedictorian of his class. No small feat. That was 6th grade. He learned things and had them sort of ingrained, I hope.

Junior High. His only class that is "advanced" is his Language Arts. I guess we would know it better as Reading, because so far it is more about reading and comprehension than a re-study of punctuation, etc that most call an English class. Either way, moving on. At the Open House about a week or so ago, this instructor mentioned they had been assigned a Book Project that was going to be taking place on top of other assignments through some time of the school year. Personally, no idea how long, but say at least several weeks. It entails reading a book (obviously) and from there do other things... something like a pamphlet, a report, some other stuff... etc.

First is the book.

The book needs to be selected and read. A very obvious thing. Let's talk about selection, after all, it can't just be ANY book. There are criteria that have to be met. There are criteria that are required NOT to be in the selection. Here are the basics:
      1. Must be Non-Fiction, or Historical Fiction - Non-Fiction leaves a large area open. but saying "OR Historical Fiction", does that not sound oxy-moronic? Can't be fictitious, unless it is historically so? I don't understand.
      2. Cannot be an Autobiography, or a Biography - Nope! Would have been too easy to get just the facts.
      3. Must be in the student's Lexile range. At the open house, parents were told that this score would be provided to the student in days to come, and that there was a website to find a book in the range would be given later on.

- For those that don't know, the Lexile range is a numerical range of reading level, based upon a person's comprehension of material they are reading. I would think usually this would go hand-in-hand with if a 12 year old is reading young adult books and understanding it, he is going to have a higher score and range than a student that can barely read a 3rd grade book. You can read more about it at Lexile.com.

So, the son comes home tonight, he has to finish up some Social Studies homework, using the ONLINE textbook (which the provided the website for at the open house). I ask if that is all, and find out about this book thing. He has to have the TITLE of the book he will be doing his project on by tomorrow class time. He was just given the Lexile score today. No other info was given - like where to look up the list of books, etc.

I'm pissed. I happen to Google Lexile, find the main site. You can plug in a score, and it will bring up "a list" of books by category for you. I enter the info, and have the selection of around 20 or so things. Historical Fiction is not one of them. History and Social Studies is listed. I look in there....OMG. He is supposed to pick something from here? Then the questions start from me : where is the site info? Where is the info about this project? Did the teacher provide ANY info? etc etc

No website was given. No additional info as to what Historical Fiction pertains to ("Little Men"?). Does Non-Fiction include other things like Science and Technology, such as the title "Non-Fiction" seems to indicate, though, saying Historical Fiction, non autobiography/biography seems to say you want something more in the line of history.

Why the FUCK can't the DAMN teacher be a little more precise? Why can't she provide a specific book list? Why is ANY INFORMATION that would be more helpful NOT anywhere where a student could get to it tonight, the day before he is supposed to have a selection done?

We called the teacher's school telephone recorder thingy. Her message mentions the basic info (Non Fic, or Hist Fic - not Auto/bio) and that's it. There is no forum or website through the school to see possible other information on the project. I asked why he didn't get more info, he said he didn't know he needed more, though he doesn't understand what he is supposed to pick or from what list, the same as us.

I am pissed. I start to write an email to the instructor, and going to enclose a cc to the principal, and maybe the school superintendent. I proof-read it. Change this, edit that phrase, take out that cuss word.

Still I have not sent it. After writing all this out, I have begun to think a little on it. Last year, we explained to our son, he was going to have to get used to people in the world that do not, maybe even cannot, give you every bit of info needed, or treat you the way you should, etc. He is going to have to learn how to deal with it.

Maybe, this is one of those things. If he doesn't understand, maybe he needs to go back and ask questions until he does understand. If it hurts his grades, maybe he will learn to ask questions in a better time frame.

Though, given no other info except his Lexile score, just today, and then expected to know what to do with it, on his own time, with no other indication.... should he have asked? Why didn't any other student? Do they understand what needs to be done and is it just my son?

I don't know.

Edit: I just got done giving my son the best solution I could.  Just go into class tomorrow with no title selected, get more info, and take whatever deduction of points or whatever for being  day late, but better informed. She ain't going to fail a weeks-long project for one day in the selection of a title. I don't know if he is going to do that, or he and his mother (not Wife now, we argued about this) will try and pick something out. Either way, not my problem. He will have to learn how to do this on his own somehow.

PeacE

No comments: