Wednesday, May 2

Dragging Knuckles

Remember comic strips, and even cartoons, that always showed the big thugs looking like gorillas, arms so hairy, big and long that they looked almost like they were dragging their knuckles on the ground? I almost feel like that this morning. I have been stressing the past couple of days about my oldest son's grades. I tell myself that it isn't my problem, that he is the one that has to correct the problem, and it will affect him more than myself. The problem is trying to believe that statement.

As a parent, I know there are areas that I just extremely suck at, when it comes to setting an example. I am not sure where I would be considering to excel at, either, but that is a different matter. Granted, my kids weren't around when I was in high school, nor when their mother was in college - well, the boys anyways - to see how doing one's homework was a requirement to get through the class with a passing grade. I'm trying to get that into my son's head, without beating the living crap out of him.

The past two days I have told him to check with his teacher(s) to find out what the missing assignments that they are allowing to be made up. Yes, I emphasized that he will be working on them every night after school until they are done. He is down to just under four weeks of school left, and he needs to get his grades up. Both nights he has come home (without his schoolbooks) with an excuse as to why there was not time to talk to ONE teacher about it. He conveniently 'forgot' to ask at least one other teacher (who has indicated he is missing work).

I don't know what to do at this point. I am debating sending an email to the teachers explaining that due to 'classroom activities' (as my son says) he hasn't the time, so would they feel free to send the list to me, and I would be able to be sure he completes all work. I have threatened this to him, but it seems to make no difference. The Wife and I have tried to sit down with him and explain how this will make a difference if he even makes it to 9th grade, let alone setting up a good habit for when he is in high school - where they won't allow one to make up missing assignments. All I get is 'I don't know' and the whole careless attitude about the whole thing.

I have nothing to "ground him" from.... he has never been one to be very social. He's still 'opening up' to that. Short of time on the computer, where he plays video games, I can't think of much else.

I know these past two years, the two classes he seems to be missing the work from are both advanced classes (English and Math). He has mentioned time and again that in high school, they would probably be too hard for him. I don't think so. He is very intelligent, just is lazy. The Wife and I were talking last night, and I mentioned I was already saying he was taking regular Eng. and Math in HS. Mainly because I don't want to have to go through this crap again. But he doesn't know that yet. Think it would make a difference now?

Am I stressing over this too much? I don't want him to be held back a year just because he is lazy, and the possible (and in my head very much imagined) ridicule he will receive from classmates.

Sigh. I just don't know what to do at this point.

I think I will write his teachers tomorrow though, if he doesn't bring home the list of assignments today.

On a good note - I lost another 3 pounds this week. I am now at a new high for total weight lost.

PeacE

No comments: