Friday, May 25

A Not So Important Moment

In the past years, well, at least since I had graduated completely out of school, it seems society put some bigger    emphasis on promoting out of the 8th grade. Sure, for many schools, it is not only the start of those 'named' high school years (freshman, etc), but many times it is changing physical location. It is the four years that determine your future, as GPAs are made, and colleges applied to for admissions. But many schools were calling this promotion form 8th grade, a Graduation. Sure in basic terms, I could see it being a sort of graduation. especially by the definition provided at Dictionary.com. It is progressing in grade levels; completing a "junior high school". But society made them into big ceremonies, where young teeny-boppers wore prom formals, all for nothing. Maybe because I heard more of that happening in AZ, that I am biased in thinking, it must be because most of the damn illegals out here can't go farther than 8th grade, because their English is so bad, or because that is when the parents make them start standing outside Home Depot to work, and help bring home money. I don't know.

Either way, my oldest son is moving on from 8th grade today. I love how the school is not calling it a graduation. In all the announcements, etc, I have seen, it is called a promotion celebration. I think that makes more sense. Anyone could have that as long as they passed the class(es). He will be a Freshman at the HS this fall. The Wife has today off, so she could attend the little ceremony they have at the school. I will be over sitting with FIL, so that MIL could attend today. She has been a big help with out kids, and their learning, since they were babes, that I thought she would like to go. With the Wife there, I know there will be lots of pictures, and after explaining to my son what OI wanted to do, he thought it would be good for Grandma to be there too. Of course, my parents will be attending as well.

Other than that, picking Stuman up from the airport tonight is all I have planned. I am hoping he brings back the bottle of green label Jack Daniels I asked for. I can't find that reserve brand anywhere out here.

PeacE

No comments: