Friday, March 15

Is It Nerves, or Something Really Bad?

Yesterday afternoon I went to the scheduled interview. I was 15 minutes early (I always try to be early for everything) and felt confident. Those butterflies were not going on as I sat and waited to meet with Mr. Interviewer. Within a couple minutes, he was there and we were walking back through the cubicles to his working area.

Though this is a call center, the cubicles and random shouts of "We have $500 over by so-n-so!" what I hadn't expected was for him to sit me at the desk nearest the door, and leave the door open. I am a bit hard of hearing to start with, and the random noises from the call floor had me straining to hear his words, and not ask often if he could repeat what he just said. It probably really didn't matter as there was no "real" interview. I was asked about 8-10 questions that were pre-printed on a piece of paper, then he would summarize and write my answer for each one. Questions like: What would you do if you saw a co-worker doing something against the rules/policies of the company? How would you like to be told if you were seen going against rules/policies? What would your past employer(s) say is your best trait? What would your past employer(s) say is your worst trait? Every question was followed by it's reverse. I wanted to shout out "Is this for real?!?"

After the questions, Mr. Interviewer went on in basic detail the job description, and what the company actually does (collects donations for mostly Republican groups for elections/campaigns across the US and also some non-profits for other reasons). At this point, it is a somewhat different description than what I had been told by the Office Manager, whom I know. It sounds like random cold-calling, not calling those that indicated they could be called for donations, as I had been led to believe. Needless to say, I followed through with the interview, inquiring about time off. Pay schedules and amounts were discussed. At last, he copied my ID and SS card, though did not require me to sign anything to secure employment. I was a bit miffed about that. My training is scheduled to start Monday.

When I walked out of the interview, I felt weird. I expected to feel nervous, as it has been many years since I had to do one, but it wasn't nerves. I almost felt 'dirty'. Seriously, I felt that way. Just talking to the guy, and walking through part of the offices, I felt like something had sort of oozed onto me. I went home, thinking about the job, the details, how much I need to get back to working. But every time I start thinking about this company, and me actually working there, I get this 'bad feeling' in my gut. I can't describe it, but you know what your "bad gut feeling' feels like, so I know you can relate.

I think I may be calling and turning down the job offer. Even though I could supposedly work there until I find another job, thus making some money. I don't think I could do that - my moral compass, broken as it is, doesn't like that idea. And it just feels dirty. I have a couple more days to debate and think on it all.

PeacE

2 comments:

reverend mother said...

I know you need a job, but go with the gut feeling. Seriously. It will never prove you wrong. There is something better out there for you that doesn't require you straining to hear all that you need to hear to do a good job.

Joe said...

I'd recommend trying it for a week or two and see if your attitude changes.