Thursday, December 23

Crossing my Fingers and Hoping

So it's Thursday, and only basically, two more days to Christmas. I am hoping that after yesterday that there is absolutely no reason the Wife would send me back out to another store for anything. Yesterday, one store, crowds... reminded me why I hate shopping so much. Inconsiderate assholes.

SO the son and I caught the new Narnia flick. I enjoyed it better than the first two Narnia movies. Afterwards, we stopped at Best Buy for the last minute pick up stuff. I got a bit pissed. I had priced an item there online the night before, and checked store availability (which it said in stock). I know that can change from opening to the time I get there, and we didn't arrive til about 1'ish. I picked up the last 2 of this particular item. Notice I say item, in case it is for someone that reads here....

So we go to the checkout, to stand the typical 45 minutes in line as I seem to have to do EVERY time I am at Best Buy (which I hate, because they are a fucking pain in the ass store and I hate their whole policy about returns and I think they are owned by the French - though they probably really aren't, I just hate them). Just as we reach the front of the line, Customer Service says they can help whoever is next. So now I have to back track (excuse me, excuse me) through the line to go out and around to the customer service desk. By now, I am cranky, sweaty (it's exercise all that waiting in line) and just ready to leave. She rings me up. I look at the total, and say how much did you charge me?

The two items I got (same thing, just 2 of them) rang up at $20 each. I asked why online, they are advertised at $13.49, and why are you charging me $19.99? She started in some memorized spiel about how the online prices are "always" different than the actual store prices. I asked why? Another version of the same story. Again, I asked why. This time she says that this particular store does do price matching. I nodded okay. She then asked me if I would want to match a price on the items. I wanted to do a Bill Engvall here and hand her a sign....

Looking her straight in the eye, I said yes, I would want the price to be matched. Then, while looking me in the eye, she asked if I had a price from a competitor to match it to.

At this point, I just wanted to slap her. Reach right across that counter, and swing putting all of my tremendous bulk behind it, and just connect to her head.

I took a breath. I counted to 10. I quietly said, "I want you to match the price from the website of your employer, on these two items. There is no need for a competitor's advertisement to do this."

Okay, she says, and starts pushing the buttons. She had to call for some manager or something to ok the discount. We are still standing here... 5 minutes go by, she calls again, then says..."Sorry it's taking so long. Would you like me to go ahead and ring it up like normal?"

She needed it badly. I mean, maybe I just needed it badly. My arm was ready to just beat the shit out of her. I said "No. I will wait for the manager to give me the correct price on my purchase. I do not want you to ring it for 6 and a half higher - each! - just so I don't have to wait."

Another 5 minutes went by before someone came over and put in there seemingly 5 digit auth code and I was able to leave.

It just galls me, that companies do that shit. Advertise somewhere a price, then when you get there, it is higher and no one complains because it is the Christmas rush, or it was the last one on the shelf. I mean, I saved $13 just because I inquired about why the price is different than their website. AND, because I bought 2 of this item, I got a FREE $5 gift card. Which I will never use, as I have no plans to ever go back to that store again.

As I said in the past, things like this make me fucking hate Christmas.

PeacE

1 comment:

Spockgirl said...

Hmm... Going shopping used to be my BIG thing. Christmas shopping was FUN. I am laughing right now at your "story"... If I were standing in the same line as you, I would have been smiling (a rarity)... but at the same time feeling your pain. Kinda makes me glad that I can't afford to go shopping so I get to avoid all the crap.