Wednesday, December 1

The Cat Got My ...

I was a good friend yesterday. My friend lives a few miles west of me, and the place she had told me to take the cat was basically in-between our homes. I figured no big deal. Pick up the cat around 8am, have it there by 8:30 no problem. Except in my life, nothing goes right at times. I was running late by about 10-15 minutes. Still no major issue. I was to drop Sammy (the cat) off between 8:30 and 9. They just didn't open until 8:30.

I get to her house, see the pet carrier, the free spay voucher, and the other paper listing the places she could go. I see Sammy and call to her, and she comes up rubbing my ankles. Gently I eased her up into my arms, and moved to the carrier. As lowered to my knees and extended Sammy in my arms to the opening of the carrier, disaster struck. Suddenly, she wanted to have nothing to do with me or the carrier. In about 5 seconds flat, she was in the carrier with the door shut, mewing like mad, and I was on my knees thinking what he hell got her flipped out like that. Then I felt it. Sammy in her attempted effort of freeing herself from my hands prior to her entry to the carrier, got in some good claw licks. My left hand across the back of the knuckle of the first digit has a nice scratch about an inch long, bleeding. the palm side of my thumb, from just above the base, across the bend, and right into the meat of the print area, is the worse one. It's dripping red, and hurts like a .... well, you can imagine. The other hand got a couple minor scratches that weren't leaking rivers.

I stick the thumb in my mouth to keep from dripping blood on the carpet, and grab the "Locations" paper. I see an address highlighted, and think to myself that can't be right. I go thru all the other addresses. The one highlighted is where I am supposed to go. Instead of being 39th AVENUE, it was 39th STREET - meaning in Phoenix, about the difference of almost 10 miles, back past my house and to the East side of town. I call my friend, and she had misread the direction of the street and thought it was our side of town. I still had to take the cat, because she had it scheduled there, and the voucher had to be used before 12/1. I grab the stuff and the carrier and start on my way. Mind you, it is 8:30 by now, and still have morning rush hour going on. I got there at 9:10, luckily they didn't mind me being a few minutes over the limit they had gave. I called my friend and let her know the best way to get there after work.

Needless to say, my thumb hurts still this morning. Every time I bend it, put pressure on it, I get a nice little pain to remember Sammy by. Imagine trying to do things without your thumb, then I am happy that I am right handed.

Still fighting the cold, though I think I may have a winning edge happening. The worst of it is the nasal congestion, then runny nose, back to congestion seemingly changing every 30 secs, or a combination of both. My nose is tender from blowing it so much, and wiping the runnies from it. What's weird, is if I lay down for like 15-20 minutes, it clears up a bit - or if I walk around 5-10 minutes. But as soon as I sit - BOOM! It's back to being filed up. Driving me crazy.

We had a freeze warning yesterday in Phoenix until 9am. Seems we got a freak low pressure cell and the temps dropped into the 20's at night. But the good news it will warm back up to the 70's (daytime) by Friday again!

PeacE

No comments: