Saturday, January 8

Life's Temptations

I got to quit going to bed early, even if I do feel tired. I was in bed and actually going to sleep about 9pm last night. Not too bad, considering usually it seems lately more like 10-11 before I am there. My only problem is, I guess the body is preferring to get XX hours of sleep, because today I am up at 4am. I laid there for a good 20 minutes before deciding, sleep was not going to come back at that exact moment. I thought maybe if I got up for a couple hours, I could then lay back down and nap a couple more too. We'll see if that works.

Temptations. Oh, they are all over the place when they are things you are not supposed to have. For me, it is food. Or rather, types of food. A year ago I would have seen something that looked tasty and if I wanted one, I got one. Now I salivate and drool, imagining how it would taste. The texture as I chewed it. Oh, I tear myself up thinking about it. And my downfall... is cookies. I don't think I have ever ate a cookie I didn't like. I care for some better than others, but I love them all in some form....or cut shape.

Lucky for me, all the cookies I received for presents, I was able to be rid off (read: I ate them all) before returning to the diet after the new year start. I figured I could do okay, as long as I didn't buy any to have around the house. I do have two butter-sized tubs of pre-mixed cookies (just add eggs and water I think) on the shelf, but I am in no fear of using them. Too much effort to make them (though I so love them warm and soft from the oven). So I feel pretty safe. That is, I felt safe until I happened to take stock of what was in the 'fridge the other day.

We had a couple days worth of leftovers, and I was taking inventory as I was searching for the older of leftovers for my lunch. Common sense, so that it gets eaten before going bad. As I opened various containers to see contents, I came across a tube of cookie dough. You know, a tube, like the plastic wrap kind you see biscuits come in sometimes. Where you just open, and slice the cookie dough, and put in oven - 15 minutes you have cookies. Hastily, I put it back, not even noticing the type of cookie dough it was. Determined I was not to be tempted. As I put it back on the shelf, and moved a couple things over to sort of block it from my sight, I see a tub of dough on another shelf. a Bigger amount of pre-made cookie dough. This was too much for me. I grabbed the smallest Tupperware of leftovers - not caring what it was, and shut the door.

I used to think the Wife loved me. Then I thought, maybe she still does and was going to make me cookies as a surprise. But wait, she has been so encouraging about the diet, that why would she undermine me like that? Then I realized what had happened. School fundraisers. May they be hated by parents everywhere for the guilt they put on you. No one wants their child to return to school with absolutely NO orders, and find themselves buying at least one thing (though they may never need it). I vaguely remembered products of this sort being offered by not one of the boys, but both this year. I think she bought one from each.

And it had to be cookies.... sigh.

PeacE

4 comments:

Spockgirl said...

Hmm... I don't think I have ever eaten a "pre-mixed" cookie before in my life. When I was a kid it was always home-made, from scratch, everything. I think I appreciate food so much more because of that. When you learn to make things with your own two hands, you appreciate the product more, and it also builds an appreciation of the ones around you who make things for you.

Reverend Mother said...

uh.... it may be my fault, son. I sent two rolls of cookie dough and what was left of the tub home with Bethany when she came over. I'm sorry!

Ralphd00d said...

Ah! The culprit is found! I knew I should not have blamed the Wife!!

Spockgirl said...

Wow... you must be serious about your diet... Geesh...your MOM just apologized for the cookie dough!