Saturday, January 1

A New Beginning

Oh, joy. I say that with much emphasis on the "Oh" part of it, as I do not find it to be a joy. Today is the day that people feel it is necessary to begin things anew... to have that fresh start, a new beginning, a changing of ways. Yeah, you know what I am talking about... resolutions. I looked up the word 'resolution' at dictionary.com, and there were a couple different definitions that could be used for the New Year-type resolutions. One was 'a resolve or determination: to make a firm resolution to do something. I could see that being good. Considering most are usually ideas that one wants to make sure you follow through. Here are a couple others that could be used : the act of resolving or determining upon an action or courseof action, method, procedure, etc. or this one: the mental state or quality of being resolved or resolute;firmness of purpose. Totally would work.

Though I feel this last one works best for many people : a solution, accommodation, or settling of a problem,controversy, etc. I think that one works best, because so many are ideas that we want to change, but never actually accomplish. Going to the gym more, more time with family, make more money, eat less fattening foods, etc. Years ago I fell into that category of making a resolution that I knew no way would work. But one would do it anyways. And at the start of the year, would make some sort of pathetic attempt at actually trying to meet that unrealistic goal. Then I received a blessing of wisdom, and decided to not make any more resolutions. It helps keep me from getting disappointed with myself for additional failures.

Last year we spent New Year's day lunch with family at Sis' place. We are doing it again this year. Last night was spent up there watching "The Other Guys" and the ball dropping at midnight. The older boys stayed the night and the rest of us went home. In about 30 minutes we are heading back that way. Sis had us all write down resolutions last year on a piece of paper, which individually we sealed in envelopes. She has them to pass back out this year. I have no clue what I wrote, since I normally don't do these type of things. I think I put something like, try to get healthier, or something pretty generic. I'll find out soon, and maybe come back and share. So now you have to check back in a couple hours to find out.

Edit: Yeah, got my resolution sheet from last year. Yeah, just as I figured. Not one thing listed happened.

Do you have realistic goals for yourself this year? Are they any different than ones you normally place on yourself?

PeacE

1 comment:

Spockgirl said...

Me... don't believe I have ever made a resolution at New Year's in my life and that's over 4 decades. I think what your sis did is cool about writing the resolutions down and looking at them this year. If I had done that, I would have forgotten where I had put the darn things.