Monday, January 24

Starting Off On A Good Note

Most of us do not care for the start of the week. Monday often signal the return to a job, that many don't like, but are required to do in order to receive a paycheck. I awoke this morning to ....

Sorry. I got interrupted there, in the middle of  that whole thought.

One of my boys (the 8 year old) is having issues this morning. First, he had tried the "I'm sick" card, which promptly got put in the discard stack, as his temperature was normal, and he otherwise seems fine. He pulled the "I'm not getting out of the vehicle" card when he was taken to school by his grandmother (which is the normal routine - the taking to school part). Before the Wife had to head to work, she was able to get out of him, that he didn't want to go to school because kids were 'bullying' him saying things such as, his breath stinks.

OMFG.

Bullying. I roll my eyes at this whole thing. Tell me one person that hasn't been bullied before. In today's society, we are supposed to hold the hand of anyone that gets bullied - at least when it comes to the children. No, don't get me wrong. There are some forms of bullying, when it comes to physical bullying, that I understand and agree, no one should have to put up with. And I am, not saying the verbal bullying is any different - it can hurt people in other ways. Maybe I am jaded to the 'your breath stinks' kind of bullying, as I find myself very unemotional and apathetic in most situations.

I wanted to tell my boy to "Buck Up!" and just deal with it. Stop your damn crying and get yer ass in the classroom. Bawling like a girl ain't helping anyone, and just making it more noticeable when you walk in late. And throw a smack to the back of the head, just for being that way this morning.

I didn't though. I did what a parent is 'supposed' to do according to society's standards (or at least how I think they are - even if I am sociably inept). I took my son to school, and walked with him to the office. I explained to the front desk lady, that there was an issue, regarding some bullying of my son. The Principal came out and tried to get my son to talk. No go. Then she went and got another person, who, I got the impression of anyways, was more of the school counselor, aka anti-bullying person. Supposedly the school has an Anti-Bullying program and bullying has zero tolerance - like the whole DUI thing in AZ...lol.

So, we (yes, I went with) retired to the Principal's office, where she was able to get a bit more info about the bullying. My son ended up going with the counselor to her room, to have breakfast (the school provides one each day) and get himself calmed down (get the cried-out eyes normal, etc). I was a bit surprised that the principal actually thanked me for bringing this to their attention, as most parents don't. My first thought was she was placating me, but I realized she was probably right. Most parents probably tell their kids to deal with it, like we had to in our day. I let her know that if needed, I could be reached at anytime, and would be available to return if needed.

I guess sitting here and thinking about it, I can see somewhat why bullying is addressed seriously in schools. The mental aspect of it, being on the receiving end, could be harmful to kids. Then again, I think that kids nowadays are so 'wimpy' compared to my younger days. But even as a parent, I find myself NOT allowing my kids to do things like I did when I was a kid. I write it off in my head though, because I say to myself that we live in a big city, where things are different, compared to the small "town" I grew up in.

I'll stop now, and just say I don't know. I can see both sides to it, and it just doesn't get me anywhere, except time wasted thinking about it. So much for the start of the week, eh?

PeacE

1 comment:

Reverend Mother said...

Thanks for going with him. It meant so much to him that his dad stood with him on this issue. I've read articles recently of young children who have been bullied enough that they have killed themselves it has upset them so muchl. He needs to know that his dad loves him so much he will do anything for him - even standing up to the bullies for him. I'm proud of you, son.