Sunday, January 2

Something to Do For the New Year

About a month ago, I was doing my regular internet surfing, and came across something about Blogging for Books. Being the avid reader I am, it caught my eye, so I slowed down to check it out. Seems that by joining this group I could get a book of my choice sent to me at no cost. All they ask is that I write a review of the book, post it on their website, on a blog, and on a retailer site. Being a blog-owner, an Amazon.com customer, and thinking about joining their group site, I thought, it couldn't hurt to check it out.

I registered at the website (http://waterbrookmultnomah.com/bloggingforbooks/) which was free. Their site navigation wasn't the greatest. A bit slow, and confusing for me anyways. Eventually, I got to the place where I could choose the book I wanted to review. They have only a selected list of available books to pick from. Once one is selected, it takes about 10-14 days to arrive. They ask you read, and within 30 days of reading, post a review - or is that read it within 30 days.... can't remember, but not an issue for me. Once your reviews are posted, you are able to select another book to review. I found out today, that the list of available ones change, so be prepared to not choose another book you saw on the list previously.

This all sounds great, doesn't it? Of course, you need to provide a disclaimer in your reviews. And you can only get one book at a time (which you keep when done). For me, the issue that I do not really care for? It appears after more intense scrutiny, this is a Christian author sight. So, obviously, the books contain Christian idealism, or dealing with issues of faith, and God in this day and age, etc. My first book I reviewed (see previous post) wasn't overly heavy in the churchy content, though I noted some passages that made me wonder if it was a Christianity themed book. Out of the selections available for my next review, I only found one fiction book, the rest being more self-help (if that is possible with God) in bettering oneself in Faith, striving to make your life better kind of stuff.

So, after sharing all that info (for anyone that would be interested - though, I find it a bit humorous that I am posting Christian book reviews on a blog called "Boobies & Beer") tghe point is I will be posting the reviews here occasionally. Be prepared. I am learning how to write reviews, so maybe they will be more informative as time progresses. If you don't care to read them, then don't. I don't care.

Maybe I should start another blog to do the reviews... yeah, that would be better. Now to just think of a blog name...

PeacE

1 comment:

Spockgirl said...

The book review thing is kinda cool. The limited variety of books to review is not. You never know, it might end up being a subliminal conversion technique. Heh. That being said, posting Christian book reviews on Boobies and Beer is perfectly cheeky, which is a good thing.

"...the rest being more self-help (if that is possible with God)". You might be surprised then... I have a small collection of old books ... one I have was written by a woman in 1892, if I recall correctly. I'd had it for a few years but never read it until this year... it actually is a Christian "self-help" book and I found out that it has been reprinted (probably many times) for use by modern day followers of that particular "branch" of faith.