Thursday, August 30

Coming In Next To Last

I am a little behind in getting things done today. I slept in. Yes, I did get up and run the oldest son off to school early, but then I crawled back into bed to sleep some more. I was out late last night with some friends. Actually, I met up with friends yesterday early evening, and ended up staying out later than I meant to do. There was a friend of a friend, that deals with horses. Race horses to be particular. About 2-3 weeks ago, he had one running, which many of us friends went to the Off Track Betting and placed bets on. She came in 1st, and for my $2 across the board, I won $29.60. Nice little bit of change. She was strongly favored on yesterday's run, but we were all confident she would do well. A couple of my buddies and I put in $20 each then placed the pot 'across the board'. The race started. Our horse stumbled just a bit, then took off, leading the pack. She had done this the last race, so were started cheering. As they came around the last turn, and into the straightaway, it was over. She dropped back quickly, and ended placing 8th of nine. Shrug. It was just $20, and I think if we had won, after the split I would have only won maybe $60 (if I calculated the odds right). I know there were people there putting $300 down on that horse....that's nuts!

So this week has been pretty slow, though I feel like I have been ran ragged on some days. Tomorrow night there is the son's first home game in which the band will perform. Saturday is my buddy Smitty's memorial service. It feels like it has been forever since he passed, but only a few weeks. Having the service will help some people with closure I am sure. The Wife and I will be going, as will several friends that I have spoken with recently.

Guess I am out of here to watch a movie or something....

PeacE

No comments: