Tuesday, December 25

A Very Merry Christmas

A sign that the end of the year is almost up on us, is here again. It's going on 7am here at the Ralphd00d house, and I have been up since 6'ish, waiting a more decent hour to awaken everyone else to get the day started. Last night wasn't too terrible. I had pushed the Wife about getting the wrapping done days prior to the Eve, and thus I was able to be in bet shortly after 11 last night. I was near falling down asleep by then, too.

Due to financial times, I am sure we are not the only household that has had to lower the budget when it came to getting presents for friends and family. I feel bad that we had to cut out external family and friends (such as our brothers/sisters families) just because the money was not there. We explained why, and asked that they not get us gifts as well, and if they felt the need to do it anyway, to put our kids before us. I stopped at RM's last night and already heard Sis had dropped off some presents for us already. Sigh. Some people just don't listen well I guess.

This will be a first Christmas for us (my family) that we are doing things a bit different. In past years, we generally did our presents, then the MIL's house for their family, then RM's, then finally head to Sis' place for the afternoon, where we would end up just kicking it and snacking the rest of the day. This year we opted out of going to Sis' house. By the afternoon, the Wife and I are pretty much worn out, and as we are getting older (though not as old as you Sis!) we just felt it would be easier to just return home after doing the two parents' houses. The Daughter is older, and I thought she would have plans to be with the Boyfriend's family, or other friends, but I guess last night she said she didn't.

Each year, even when money is tight, we try to do one big present for each of the kids. As they are getting older, that "big gift" seems to be getting smaller, and more expensive - such is life, eh? This year the Daughter is getting a sewing machine, the oldest son is getting a Kindle (my old one, so that cost helped stay down), the middle son is getting a bicycle, and the youngest, well the Wife found this digital-drawing, light up thingy that she thought he would love. He's 6, it should be good enough for him. Mixed in all the regular presents I am sure they all will find some candies, some clothes, other misc items they really don't need, a few toys, and most importantly, know we love them.

It's just a few minutes past 7am now, and I sense the Wife will be getting up soon. I heard the alarm radio going off, and her hit snooze. I hope you all have a wonderful day.

PeacE

No comments: