Tuesday, November 16

The Results Are In

Last Wednesday was my second doctor appointment, where we had gone over the regular blood test results, sleep study, etc. Friday I got the CPAP machine, though there were issues regarding the oxygen supply (as was coming from a separate supplier). Monday, we got the oxygen taken care of. I have an oxygen concentrator now hooked in line with the CPAP. I am at a low level (1 on whatever measurement scale they use) so it isn't too bad. In fact, I really don't notice any difference with it hooked up. I am under the impression my body is noticing changes, but the change is still large enough just using the CPAP, that consciously, I don't see it.

At my appointment, we also did another blood draw. This one was to check for the sugar percentages, etc. that are a better indicator for diabetes. Diabetes runs through both sides of my family, so I was expecting to probably see some sort of indication of it, though would not know if it was going to be in a range where medication would be required at this immediate time, or if we had some room for "lifestyle changes" to help make the difference.

Today I got the results from the doctor.

The normal Diabetic range is considered to be 6.5% or higher. The higher it is, obviously some sort of control, usually through mediation, is needed. I am at 6.4%, so am just barely under the range to say "I have diabetes." Doc says the good normal range should be under 6%. At this time, he feels that we have some room to maneuver since I am preferring to make changes in my lifestyle, rather than just do medication.

First is to lower my Triglycerides. Options are: 1) lose weight and exercise, 2) use some OTC fish oil/Omega 3 capsules, or 3) use medication. Obvious choice for me is exercise and lose weight. The capsules... I dunno. Maybe as an additional help? I don't know if I want to mess with taking pills if I don't have too, so at this time I think I will work on #1.

Second, I need to increase my HDL/Good Cholesterol. Options are: 1)exercise, 2) stop smoking, 3) use of prescription medication (he notes this is not as effective though). Well, #1 is part of the first item. The stop smoking, well, I felt not ready to give that up when we spoke about it, but I guess it is time to really start to address the issue. More on this at the end.

Third, the blood pressure needs to be lowered. Options are: 1) lose weight and exercise, 2) limit salt - 4 grams or less per day, 3) use a prescription medication, or 4) use the CPAP machine for the sleep apnea. Well, again #1 is in progress, the salt, I guess I just need to watch really salty foods (there go french fries unless I order unsalted.... like that will make a difference). Prescription meds are out - don't want to take the pills if I don't need to, leaving the CPAP, which is already in use, and we will re-address in a few months when we re-evaluate how I am doing.

Right now he recommends 3 months until another appointment unless for other reasons I need to make one. At that time, we will do the EKG, as this last time, the office one was not working, and the replacement one had not arrived. For now, the EKG was not the more important of things, though he would like to make sure no heart things were out of the ordinary, though I have no complaints at this time.

Down to the bottom line. Exercise and weight loss are the very obvious. Though I have lost 10 pounds in the 4 weeks between appointments, much more is needed. With the CPAP machine, I am feeling more energetic due to better sleep, so that will help. Diet is also helping me feel a bit more energetic. I just need to motivate myself more to get out and do some form of exercise. I don't have a gym membership, and not really looking to get one at this time. Walking would be a good place for me to start, and I want to get out and get Christmas shopping done, too, so maybe I can start there. Get to know the store layouts of Wal-Mart, Kmart and the mall. No, not going to Target. I read they are owned by the French...lol.

Smoking is going to be a big step for me as well. having that bad habit since I was 18 is going to be hard to break. Yes, I know it is possible, and you hear stories about it all the time. I have been cutting back over the past handful of years, but we are talking about a complete stop. I know it would be good for me, but in my head, do I really want to stop? Yeah, dilemma there, huh? Well, I got 5 cigarettes left in last pack I have with me. After that, I am going to push for no more. Last attempt I made I was able to go 2 days before I broke down...let's see if I can make it 5 this time. They say after the fifth day, the body isn't craving anymore, and it turns into the mental part of breaking the habit. I am mental enough (take that how you will) that maybe I can do it. No, that IS how I am going to do it (got to be positive about it, right?).

Yeah. Big changes for this big guy. Place your bets now, you might win some money - though not from me.

PeacE

No comments: