Tuesday, April 12

A Walk in the Park

I went out today, excited to meet up with PT to do our walk in the park. I had gotten new athletic shoes last week (I spoke about them before) and was anxious to see how much, and in what way, they would help.

Needless to say, I don't know if I am disappointed or not. We maybe did half the small distance we had been 'regularly' able to do. I ended up with a dull ache in the lower back (similar to what had been happening) and add in a stabbing pain from there down the left left. Very similar to messing with the sciatic nerve. I cut our walk short. Though after several minutes of resting, well, more like lounging, against the car, the pain went away and I felt fine to continue walking. Only after about 5 minutes maybe. But I was worried about it recurring, so I just called it quits for the day.

I'm not sure if the shoes helped or hindered. I think the possibility is, due to the different support, they may have caused the pain as there is a 'shift' in which muscles are used and to how they are used. I wonder if that is what brought all that on. Or maybe after a few times of shorter distance walks, the body will adjust enough to move to larger amounts of distance. Mere speculation on my part. Either way, the loss of weight would help, if I could just lose it fast enough.

Now I am back to debating the gym thing more seriously. In my previous time I did at the gym (couple years ago) I didn't seem to hurt my back as much, even though I was only about 25+ pounds lighter then. So, in my theoretical thinking, if I decided to get back in a gym, and use them on a regular basis, I could burn more, lose more weight, quicker than just by the walking I am doing now... that small amount. It's bonus either way. Now just to motivate myself to do that. That's the hard part. It's something I know I need to do, but not something I am looking forward to (the hard part of the working out and pushing oneself - not the end result). All I know (family this is for you) the more someone tells me to do it, or mentions it all the time, the less I want to do it, and actually rebel against it. With me, it is a mental battle with myself. I have enough voices in my head that I don't need any external ones to offer their opinion. The Wife knows me this well. She just says she'll support me in whatever I decide, even if she disagrees, as long as it something for the positive, and doesn't set me back.

Decisions, decisions. I am off to ponder them.... and send some mud people down the waterslide.

PeacE

No comments: