Wednesday, October 3

Sometimes, Technology Sucks

I have been sort of moping the past couple of days. Well, more like, enjoying a bit of self-pity, and a touch of anger at 'The System". I think I am over it, for now at least, but I am sure there will be repeat instances when I am least prepared for it.

Employment during these times seems to be such a hard thing to find. For the past four years, I have not been able to locate a job. Admittedly, I have not been overly-active in looking for one, partially due to the needs that are going on for my family at this time. But I have been searching, looking for something part-time possibly, that I can arrange around the things that need done. With the use of the internet, sending resumes, or completing online applications has become faster than having to physically go to a place to complete them.

A friend of mine gave me a lead Monday, for a part-time position that sort of met the guidelines I was hoping to find in a job. He even told me to get down to the location to talk to the manager, which I promptly did. After speaking to the manager for a short time about the position, job duties, etc, I felt like I stood a good chance of getting the job. Rounding out our short talk, he mentioned I needed to do an online application, which I could complete there in the store. And following that, complete the "Skills Assessment" on the computer. Feeling confident that the position was mine, I complied.

I now know why I have been getting denials for other jobs when I complete online applications. Many, before I even finish the application process. Almost every position I apply for, be it a store, or even a more professional place (ie. mortgage company, etc) that takes a resume as well, they ALMOST ALL require some sort of psychological quiz/skill assessment/questionairre that I inadvertently fail every single, fricking time.

Am I a serial killer? A pedophile? Kleptomaniac, pyromaniac, unstable grass-cutter? No. I am just honest. I don't feel I should have to lie just to get the job. Sure, it would be easier - take the quiz, say that yes I love being interrupted no matter what, no I wouldn't "accidently" take home office supplies, yes co-workers are the best people I want to be around 24/7. I could give them the answers they want, then once the job was mine, ignore all the answers that I gave that I felt didn't apply. Nah. Not me. I would think an employer would want the honest person more so than the one that just gives them the answers they want. Especially when it has nothing to do with the position being applied for.

With technology the way it is today, it seems so many places are requiring an online application/submission rather than actually meeting a person in a one-on-one sitting. Seemingly, all of them require the "Quiz", too. Sure, better use of time. I can see that. But the number of people that the companies are missing that are more than qualified, and above all else, honest.... they sure are missing them. What percentage would that be? 1%? 5%? Part of the 47% or the 51%?

I don't know. I just know I am part of it. After I completed the application and quiz, the manager looked up my information. He mentioned I failed their "skills assessment". I asked how I could fail a psych quiz, that has nothing to do with my skills. I was informed that the Corporate requires that a person "score" a certain point amount per the answers they give, and my answers did not add up to the amount needed. He asked if I would like to take it again. I answered, "No. Why would I need to take it again if I answered them honestly? No answers are going to change. Thank you for your time today." I do admit, the look on his face gave me a bit of a smirk, as it was a surprised one. I guess he expected me to say, oh yes, let me take it again so I can lie to you. (smh).

Honesty. Is it the best policy in this day and age? I don't know. I do know I have to live with the answers I give, and I don't regret being honest - if it costs me a job.

PeacE

1 comment:

Reverend Mother said...

I'm proud of you for your honesty, son! I know exactly what you are talking about! I apply online and get the 'thank you for applying' email, then by next morning I get the 'thank you but no thank you' email. I know I'm qualified - they miss out by having to rely on these stupid tests and other things. Hang in there - it will happen!