Monday, May 14

Post Mother's Day - The Real Story

Aside from my particular views that this is just another holiday for businesses to get more money, it is a nice day for many of us to remember/respect/honor our mothers, if they deserve it. Since my mother is still alive, I of course honored her, and will be seeing her later this week.

Pre - My sister, very last minute, decided to have all the families over to her place, and have lunch, let the kids go swimming, etc. Not a bad idea, except my wife did not really want to do this all last minute. Heck for that matter, I didn't really want to either.

So I called Mom who I knew was over there, and wished her a Happy Mother's Day, and we would visit later this week to drop off her present. She was fine with that, and sent wishes back to my wife. I guess my brother and his family were over there and everyone had a good time. We went on and did our family thing.

Post - My sister calls me at work this morning. "Do you have a moment to talk?" (Why is this seemingly a pre-cursor to bad things? Whenever I get a call like this, I know something is going to be told to me that I don't want to hear, or that something has happened to someone.)

"Yeah, I can talk." I get up and shut my office door. "What's up?"

"You knew that Stuart's (my brother) friend Daniel, well his mother passed away."

"I didn't know that. Stuart had called and left me a message earlier this week that someone had passed away, and he was going to the funeral, but I couldn't make out who he was talking about. I figured it was a friend or someone I didn't personally know."

"Well, he had got to drinking pretty good yesterday and was getting all depressed about her passing away. Currently he is at the VA in lock down for suicide watch."

"What? What the hell is going on?"

"Well, he was depressed when he went home, and according to his wife, he had tried to commit suicide, but was stopped and they admitted him. The doctors say initially, the depression could be part of the Post-War symptoms many GI's are showing. They are not yet sure on that issue though. I do know he was griping last night about how you never talk to him anymore, and he feels alone all the time."

"Any idea how long he will be in this lock down?"

"No, this is pretty much all I know at this point."

"Okay, well, thanks for updating me. Let me know if you hear anything else. There is nothing I can do at the moment."

Now, what a shitty way to start out a week. My brother on suicide watch, and somehow I get tied into that it is my fault as well as his friend's mother dying. That just pisses me off to no end.
Now I am trying to reach Mom to find out if she knows anything more. This will be something else I will get dragged into by the family and it irritates me. Like I don't have my own problems too?!? So I haven't talked to anyone in the family for two weeks until yesterday ... We live within 10 miles of each other for cripe's sake. Why the hell would I need to call? I HATE talking on the phone. And when you ain't got nothing to say - even worse!!

So now I have a sister that is trying to call everyone and let them know what is going on; I have a brother in lockup/suicide watch at the VA; I got a mother I can't reach at present, that may know more of what is going on than anyone; and I got myself all worked up and pissed off at the fucking situation.... ARGH!!!!

I hope your Monday is going better than mine. Be back when I can.

PeacE

UPDATE: Seems he has been released this afternoon after meeting a counselor. They did some blood work, but obviously it was just alcohol in his system and not a bunch of drugs. Basically, they suggested some places for him to seek group therapy (I assume like AA for starters) but I don't know anymore than that. I suppose in about 2 hours I will get a call from him telling me all about his adventure. Wonder if I should answer it or not. Worth the aggravation and ass-chewing he is going to get? I dunno ....

No comments: