Monday, December 28

Finishing Out the Year

 The last week of 2020 is here, and like the most of this past year, it is going to be a complicated one.

I got out of bed at my regular working time, and logged into the computer. The last project had finished up on Thursday, and no word of a new project has come in my emails. I double-checked our work Teams, the work email, my personal email.... nothing. So I presume I will be sitting here this morning, just waiting for some kind of information about work to come along. It is somewhat frustrating with these smaller projects, the time delays in getting people 'switched' from project to project, and the time hours lost when having to wait on the new information to com. Out of four days work last week, I only logged 22 hours. Fortunately, our finances currently are okay, and it doesn't hurt us, but still - it is irritating for me, and what of those that require those hours for their means?

Saturday night, I received a video from the oldest Son, of him sitting in his car, turning the steering wheel, and hearing some kind of clunking noise. Last week he had a tire go flat, to find out that the indie edge of the tire had worn to the wires. Obvious as alignment issue. Which frustrated us, as he had that alignment done about 2 1/2 years ago. It should not have been that bad. The other side is worn, but not as badly. The talk was we would help him get a new tire, so he isn't driving on that little donut spare. But now this new issue.... I got up Sunday morning and drove over, to see if I could help narrow down what the issue was - I was thinking CV Boot. I couldn't figure it out. The noise was loudest in side the car, almost like something catching on the steering column housing.... but couldn't define what. To me, it had nothing to do with the cv joint. No issues driving, he said, except when turning very sharply, it sometimes sounded like the tire was rubbing the wheel-well.

This car has been somewhat of a sore spot for the past few years. When this Son graduated, we were trying to find an affordable car for him, and my Brother had this one available. They asked more than I really wanted to pay, but it was family, and was the bluebook price (because his wife is a bitch and wouldn't even lower for family). Either way, had several small scratches, and small dents, but it worked. Within the first couple days we noticed the transmission didn't like to shift into the final gear when driving. That has lasted the several years (about 4+) he has had it. Then there were the three hit and runs on it (not his fault - and never caught) that left other small injuries to the body of the car. He has had it in the shop a couple times (alignment for one, forget the other). In the past couple weeks, he has had a window motor/mechanism fail, and has not been able to get it fixed yet. Like the Son, I am frustrated, and feel his anger and want to rid himself of it, and find another. But who can afford that?

Christmas Day I had told him that the Wife and I would help him financially with finding another car. Now with the new issues, he and I are planning on going to look at some cars tomorrow afternoon to see if we can find something. RM if you are praying, throw a good word in for us. I am hoping to find something under $10K that will last him a good 7-10 years. Friends of mine say I shouldn't help him financially, that he needs to learn to solve his own problems as he is an adult. To a degree I feel that way as well, but having had to go through many of life's problems that way, and having help a few of those times, if I have the means, to help at least a little, I will.

New Years Eve and Day are this week. My friend J wants to have a get-together at his place on the Eve. I don't know. The past several years I haven't gone out on those nights, sober or otherwise, to avoid the amateur drinkers out on the road. He only live s a couple miles from me, but still I am leery. Of course I would invite the Wife (who would DD for me) and there are hopefully going to be other couples there as well. I suppose I will check with him to see how many other s have committed to being there.

And that brings us to the issue of resolutions. Which we will address another day.

PeacE

No comments: