Friday, December 4

What a Waste of a Day...Sorta

 Yesterday was almost a waste of a day off work for the oldest Son. He showed up before 8am, following the plan we were going to take his car in to the shop to fix the window issue. I was diligently at my desk working. Turns out they weren't sure they could even look at it that day (he wouldn't be able to leave it, as he needs it for work). On top of that, they were going to charge him $250 just for the labor to even look at it. I kinda understand that, after watching the video of basically taking the whole door apart. He called another garage. They told him up front they don't really work on Hyundais, and it would take them longer than a day to have the time to get to it, then order the parts needed. So, in short, it isn't getting fixed anytime soon. I am going to try in the meantime to find someplace that does windows for Hyundais and see what they charge. Maybe on his next day off we can get it in - if I find a place.

By this time, it is nearing 10 am, and he is sitting with his Mom. I check on them about once an hour, and they are just chit-chatting about stuff. I can't join because I am working. Come afternoon, it is decided to replace his phone. It has cracked screen, and breaks in the casing. It also doesn't charge off the cord and he has had to charge it wirelessly for the past few months, but now it starting to not work properly at all. The Wife and he went to a Verizon store, and were told they would have to make an appointment, and that they were backed up currently to 2 days out. So they returned home. Another bust. It was finally figured out that there was a phone he was wanting, in stock at a different store location not too far away, and via the website we were able to order it to be picked up in store. Then they had to wait for the email saying the "order was filled and ready for pick up" which took a little over two hours. In the end, he did get the new phone, so one problem actually did get solved, though it took most of the afternoon for it to happen.

All in all, the Son spent several hours with his Mom yesterday. I know Moms like that... mine has said so before in her blog. I'm happy the Son got one issue resolved, and hope the other will happen soon as well.

This weekend is going to be a stressful one. I'm braving the stores (a very few) to try to get some of the last Christmas shopping I need to do. I hate wearing the mask, but will have to tolerate it in spurts. At least I have the trip planned down to maybe 4-5 stores, and most are not crazy with shopping crowds. Smaller stores are better.

Next week is the Santa Run! We had a head count at about 17 going this year. My brother backed out today (the wimp). Though, I suppose not wanting to catch anything while out, a week before he has a weekend with his grandkid, is probably a good idea. The oldest Son took his Santa suit home Wednesday to try it on to be sure it fits. I haven't heard if he has done that or not yet.

Work was interesting today. We ran out of the stock of documents we were going through about 10:30. I had grabbed one of the last ones, and was near completing it when my Team Lead contacted me about shifting me to an new task. Turns out they requested a few people from the project, for this next-level task, and told everyone else to log out for the day. It was said that everyone was to watch their emails, as with the 1st-level review being done, many would be moved to new projects, but it could take a few days (meaning no work). But I was picked to continue to the next level... apparently, I was told, because of the speed I am able to go through the information, pull out the pertinent information, and that I understood the protocols better than most. So now I am on a team with the Team Leaders, Quality Checkers, and a handful of others that were picked. Feels good being picked for my good work!! For now, it guarantees me some work come Monday, and from there who knows. Much depends on the meeting with the client (to be this weekend) to find out how they want to handle things based on what work has already been completed. I'm sure to find out more come Monday.

I worked late today (did a 9-5 versus my usual 7-3) and the Wife is out for a bit doing some errand, and grabbing a couple things. I was thinking of going out for a few beers with my buddy J, but he is going to hi nephew's game - where he believes they will lose sorely, so he may not watch the whole thing. It's almost 6pm and I am still sitting here in my pajamas. Kinda cool.....lounge in these all day while working..... But I should get dressed and meet up with my buddy.

PeacE

No comments: