Tuesday, January 23

My Mexico Trip - part 1

Friday morning started off bad. I was packed and ready to go, had everything I would need and more... couldn't find my wallet. I spent half an hour looking for it, before I found it - thirty seconds before my ride knocked on the door. My Wife laughs because I was near tears that I wouldn't be able to go to Mexico without my license and money. At this point I was ready to drink. We stopped and picked up three more people and headed to the west side where all were meeting at B's house. Beau's wife was the best, and had a big breakfast ready for those that wanted. Me? I settled for a Bloody Mary and tried to relax a bit. We finally were ready to hit the road a little before 9 am.

As we were leaving Phoenix, a rainstorm was on it's way in. We were rained on for about 45 minutes, and skies were clearing up southward by the time we made Gila Bend. Bathroom break at the McD's, then on south. Our next stop was at the Duty-Free store at the border. I did pretty good. I bought 2 1-liter bottles of Crown Royal for $18 each, and got a free Crown Royal backpack. Figured I could drink one bottle in Mexico, and bring one home. The other guys got smokes, and their brands of drink. One even had a shopping list for people back at work. Once out of there, of course it was our truck that got the inspection, but it only was a brief one, and we were back on the road within about 5 minutes. Rocky Point here we come!

We arrived at the condos, watching as the other truckload of guys were trying to figure out a workman's lockbox to get the keys. Don finally got the place open and we proceeded to "Salute" to Mexico, and set up for horseshoes. That's when the mouths starting spouting things I would never let my kids hear. Oh the bragging, the curses, the mean machinations of foul mouthery ... I believe Beelzebub was amongst us. I played it smart and did not play ( I am not one much for horseshoes) and so I kept track of the tournament.

As play began, and the drinks flowed, the chattering slackened off to jokes, or phrases like "Oh, that sounded good". The weather was nice with sun and the more we drink, the more it showed. One of the guys, Smitty, was trying to magic tricks - I don't know if he ever got one to work right. About that same time, Jan threw a horseshoe and hit the RedHead in the head, and the blood flowed. It was getting to be early evening as the tournament wound down. I lost $5 on the final round as Dan took the championship for single player double elimination. At this point we proceeded to head "downtown" to the Dunas, and spent awhile there before checking a couple other places out. By midnight wewere back at the condo, and I had already finished one bottle of Crown, and opened the second. So much for taking some home. I made it to the couch about 3am and slept sitting up (I forgot to lay down).

Mentionable notes of the tournament:
RedHead - gets 1st blood drawn and 1st guy eliminated
Dan - new reigning champ
Worst loss - 11-2 Beau (W) Don (L)
Closest game - 15-12 Jan (W) Joe (L)

More to come later...

PeacE

No comments: